Your life started nine months before you were born, and that’s the same for every child.
Fetus is just a latin term for little one – we were all once that tiny and vulnerable. Every unborn baby is a human being who deserve protection.
10 amazing facts that about your life before birth
- At the moment of conception, a new life is formed. There is no other point where we can say our life begins. 23 chromosomes from both parents combine to create a unique individual human being and everything about that new person is coded into their DNA from that first cell. “[The zygote], formed by the union of an oocyte and a sperm, is the beginning of a new human being.” Keith L. Moore, Before We Are Born: Essentials of Embryology, 7th edition. Philadelphia, PA: Saunders, 2008. p. 2.
- The heart begins to beat 21 days after fertilization
- At 3 weeks, all three primary sections of your brain are identifiable and brainwaves can be recorded at six weeks
- Arm buds develop by week 4, by week 6, fingers are starting to form and by week 10, fingernails are starting to form
- At 8 weeks the baby is fully formed and may be sucking her thumb
- Unborn babies show signs of left or right handedness as early as 8 weeks.
- Fingerprints begin to emerge by week 10 and at this stage foot prints are already engraved in the baby’s skin
- By 8 weeks after fertilization, the unborn child begins to react to touch.
- At 20 weeks babies can recognize their mother’s voices
- Babies born as early as 21 weeks have survived. In Ireland, baby Sive McDonald was born at just 23 weeks in 2010, weighing less than a pound, and is now thriving.
Find out more.